crash / data recovery issues

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: crash / data recovery issues
Date: 2008-02-06 18:45:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm trying to do some data recovery on an 8.1.9 system. The brief history is
the system crashed, attempted to do xlog replay but that failed. I did a
pg_resetxlog to get something that would startup, and it looks as if the
indexes on pg_class have become corrupt. (ie. reindex claimes duplicate rows,
which do not show up when doing count() manipulations on the data). As it
turns out, I can't drop these indexes either (system refuses with message
indexes are needed by the system). This has kind of let the system in an
unworkable state.

I've tried to do a pg_dump, but get schema with OID 96568 does not exist
error. The database has a number (~100) temp schemas in it, so I was
suspecting that the problem was with some object referencing a temp schema
with broken dependencies, but I looked through pg_depend for any referencing
objects but found none. I also looked through pg_type, pg_proc, pg_class,
pg_constraint, pg_operator, pg_opclass, pg_conversion at their respective
*namespace fields and also found no matches. Any suggestions on what else
might cause this, or how to get past it?

I also did some digging to find the original error on xlog replay and it
was "failed to re-find parent key in "763769" for split pages 21032/21033".
I'm wondering if this is actually something you can push past with
pg_resetxlog, or if I need to do a pg_resetxlog and pass in values prior to
that error point (i guess essentially letting pg_resetxlog do a lookup)...
thoughts?

--
Robert Treat