Re: configurability of OOM killer

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: configurability of OOM killer
Date: 2008-02-05 21:33:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:46:26PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > I cannot see any way of restricting global memory
> > consumption that won't hurt performance and flexibility.
>
> We've discussed particular ways of doing this previously and not got
> very far, its true. I think we need to separate problem identification
> from problem resolution, so we can get past the first stage and look for
> solutions.
>
> This is my longest running outstanding problem with managing Postgres on
> operational systems.
>
> Sure, OOM killer sucks. So there's two problems, not one.

Yes, this problem goes way beyond OOM. Just try and configure
work_memory aggressively on a server that might see 50 database
connections, and do it in such a way that you won't swap. Good luck.

We really do need a way to limit how much memory we will use in total.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org