pg_live situation update

From: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_live situation update
Date: 2008-02-06 01:16:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello all,

I've been preparing for next week to complete the latest version of pg_live.
All that remains is to install PostgreSQL. But now I'm presented with a
puzzle; reviewing PostgreSQL 8.3 made me realize that virtually every pl
language, except for the odd exception, that I've added in the past does not
have a functional version for 8.3. Please for all those who maintain a
project i.e. pljava, plr, slony etc. please be advised that I would like to
have something ready to submit to the European community to meet their own
deadline by end of next week. I would appreciate a reply as soon as
convenient. Some of you have already told me the status of your projects but
others because I haven't yet taken the opportunity of contacting you.

To date in addition to the default stuff I'm also looking to install: pljava,
slony, plr, and plruby. And, oh by the way, if you can think of other
projects that you think would be usefull by all means tell me and I'll see if
I have the time to look integrate it into the ISO.

If I can't get compliant modules for 8.3 in a timely manner then in order to
preserve the functionality of pg_live as a demonstration and teaching tool
I'm going to create a hybrid version with 'two' versions of PostgreSQL i.e.
8.2.x and 8.3. However, 8.3 will be a bare bones implementation without any
enhanced capabilities (outside of what is already there in the contribs)
while 8.2.x will have all the bells and whistles.

One other matter; I've adjusted the install script so that this new version of
pg_live will install all the pg enhancements in a clean manner on a machine
using the Ubuntu installation scripts.

regards

Robert