Re: Recovering a database in danger of transaction wrap-around

From: Tino Schwarze <postgresql(at)tisc(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recovering a database in danger of transaction wrap-around
Date: 2008-01-25 19:23:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 02:10:06PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I used lsof to monitor which files the backend was actually working on. It
> > took two of the four days for it to vacuum a single table with 43
> > one-gigabyte extents. I have one table with over 300 extents. I'm looking
> > at a vacuum process which can ultimately take weeks (if not months) to
> > complete.
>
> Yipes. You are just using plain VACUUM, right, not VACUUM FULL?
> Have you checked that vacuum_cost_delay isn't enabled?

pg_dump/pg_restore may be a lot faster here - we're in an emergency
situation anyway and after that, the whole DB will be clean again, all
indices rebuilt nicely, no bloat in the tables.

Tino.

--
www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.spiritualdesign-chemnitz.de

Tino Schwarze * Lortzingstraße 21 * 09119 Chemnitz