Re: Drop set problem - pgAdmin / Slony I

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, cbbrowne(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info
Subject: Re: Drop set problem - pgAdmin / Slony I
Date: 2008-01-18 08:31:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 04:55:12AM -0800, Glyn Astill wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
>
> > > How do I remove this set from the subscriber?
> >
> > I think it's somehow scheduled up behind whatever that thing going
> > for
> > node -1 is looking. If you can get rid of that one from sl_listen,
> > I bet
> > the set dropping will go through.
> >

> There doesn't seem to be a -1 node in the sl_listen on the origin or
> the subscriber.
>
> I've removed the second set that was still visible on the subscriber
> from the sl_set table, however I'm still getting an event in the log
> where it tries to "copy_set 2" and comes back with the error "set 2
> not found in runtime configuration".
>
> Any idea on how I remove / stop this?

I'll have to defer to the Slony folks on that one.

> > > I've had this happen before. Removing the cluster and setting it
> > up
> > > again resolves the problem, however once we are in a production
> > > environment I can't go dropping the whole cluster and replicating
> > all
> > > the tables from scratch when it happens.
> >
> > Can you give us an exact step-by-step on how to make it happen?
> >

> I tried to subscribe a new set with a new table in it and for some
> reason it failed with the error mentioned. The slony logs show that
> slony was periodically trying to subscribe on the subscriber.

I mean complete step-to-step, as in exactly what you click and enter. I've
done what is at least on the surface the same thing you have, with no
problems. So there must be somethign in the details.

> Seeing as I couldn't remove it from pgAdmin, I went in and ran a
> slonik script to drop the set, however I didn't try to unsubscribe it
> with slonik first. So is there a chance it's come about from me not
> unsubscribing first?

Part of it may - I don't recall offhand it the must-unsubscribe-first is a
rqeuirement of Slonik or just of pgAdmin.

> What's the law on mixing the use of pgAdmin and slonik to administer
> slony?

It shuold be ok. pgAdmin currently has the concept of an "admin node" which
isn't compatible with the way core slony/slonik does it, but it shouldn't
actually be causing you any problems. Some very minor functionality (some
discovery) will not work in pgadmin if yo uset the cluster originallyi from
slonik, but managing the servers that you've got shouldn't be a problem a
all.

And it's certainly the design goal - pgadmin shouldn't be doing anything
that breaks "the core slony way".

//Magnus