Re: Experiences with extensibility

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Eric Davies <eric(at)barrodale(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Experiences with extensibility
Date: 2008-01-09 00:36:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:28:11 -0800
Eric Davies <eric(at)barrodale(dot)com> wrote:

> The existing server extensibilities in modern DBMSs have been
> critical in our company's development of software products that
> improve database performance for certain scientific computing
> applications. We are planning to develop other products that will
> utilize an extensible database engine, and so we would be grateful
> for feedback on the following questions as they pertain to your
> experience in developing PostgreSQL applications:
>
> 1. What types of extensibility (i.e., data types,
> functions/methods, indexing, etc.) are available and convenient to
> use in practice?

Uhhh... all? You can create custom data types and even use them on the
fly via DOMAINS, we have full function support in just about every
language imaginable and full support for hash, btree, ltree, gist and
GIN indexes.

> 2. What types of extensibility (possibly already available in
> other DBMSs) are currently missing in PostgreSQL?

None that I am aware of.

> 3. To what extent was your choice of PostgreSQL as a development
> platform based primarily on its extensibility features?

There is no other open source database that can compare with
PostgreSQL's extensibility, reliability and scalability.

Joshua D. Drake

> Eric Davies, M.Sc.
> Barrodale Computing Services Ltd.
> Tel: (250) 472-4372 Fax: (250) 472-4373
> Web: http://www.barrodale.com
> Email: eric(at)barrodale(dot)com
> Mailing Address:
> P.O. Box 3075 STN CSC
> Victoria BC Canada V8W 3W2
>
> Shipping Address:
> Hut R, McKenzie Avenue
> University of Victoria
> Victoria BC Canada V8W 3W2

- --
The PostgreSQL Company: Since 1997, http://www.commandprompt.com/
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
SELECT 'Training', 'Consulting' FROM vendor WHERE name = 'CMD'