Re: BUG #3822: Nonstandard precedence for comparison operators

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Pedro Gimeno <pgsql-001(at)personal(dot)formauri(dot)es>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: BUG #3822: Nonstandard precedence for comparison operators
Date: 2008-01-02 19:40:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Pedro Gimeno wrote:
> > The spec seems to barely have a notion of operator precedence at all ---
>
> The precedence is given by the parse tree and is well defined. Perhaps
> it may vary for a given operator depending on the context but it's
> clearly different to the one PostgreSQL is using in the examples I gave.

It would be interesting if someone could work out an operator precedence table
that the spec would require, so we can contrast that with the one we
currently implement. At the moment I couldn't really tell how extensive the
problem is. Even if we change nothing, this would be useful for
documentation.

--
Peter Eisentraut