Re: [HACKERS] flock patch breaks things here

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] flock patch breaks things here
Date: 1998-08-31 02:34:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> either way, moving the pid file (or
> socket, for that matter) from /tmp should be listed as a security related
> requirement for v6.4 :)

Huh? There is no pid file being generated in /tmp (or anywhere else)
at the moment. If we do add one, it should not go into /tmp for the
reasons I gave before.

Where the Unix-domain socket file lives is an entirely separate issue.

If we move the socket out of /tmp then we have just kicked away all the
work we did to preserve backwards compatibility of the FE/BE protocol
with existing clients. Being able to talk to a 1.0 client isn't much
good if you aren't listening where he's going to try to contact you.
So I think I have to vote in favor of leaving the socket where it is.