Re: BUG #3845: tray icon that service is running

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
To: "Usama Dar" <munir(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bozhan <bozhan(at)mail(dot)bg>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3845: tray icon that service is running
Date: 2007-12-30 16:59:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Usama Dar" <munir(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2007 3:51 AM, Bozhan <bozhan(at)mail(dot)bg> wrote:
>

> > The following bug has been logged online:
> >
> > Bug reference: 3845
> > Logged by: Bozhan
> > Email address: bozhan(at)mail(dot)bg
> > PostgreSQL version: 8.3-beta4
> > Operating system: WinfowsXP
> > Details:
> >
> > postgres needs icon in tray to show that service is running. to
> > stop/start/restart postgres maybe.
> > MSSQL and MySQL have such tray application.
> > thanks
>
> Huh?

In the Windows world, the GUI is inseperable from the OS.

Now, on a server, I can't imagine the point. I mean, do you sit, logged in
to your server, watching the tray to see if PG is running or not?

I can, however, see it being a nice addition for someone who's running PG
on their desktop as part of a development environment.

In any case, I doubt it deserves to be part of PostgreSQL proper. If
someone is interested, probably a pgfoundry project would make sense.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com