Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1)

From: Albert Cervera i Areny <albert(at)nan-tic(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1)
Date: 2007-12-15 12:32:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Read-Only Tables
> ----------------
> Postgres supports the concept of freezing tuples, so they can live
> forever within the database without needing further writes. Currently
> there is no command that will guarantee that a table has been completely
> frozen. This makes it difficult to reliably write data files to WORM
> media for longer term archiving. (WORM means Write-Once, Read-Many).
> It's also a pain having to VACUUM a large table again just because a
> small number of rows need to be frozen.

I'm not an expert at all, but I'd like to understand this, do you plan that
READ-ONLY tables wouldn't even store transaction information? That should
save quite a lot of space. Maybe when the table would be moved to the
compressed tablespace, MVCC information could be dropped too? Of course that
would avoid future insert & update possibilities though.

--
Albert Cervera i Areny
http://www.NaN-tic.com