Re: pg_hba.conf is driving me nuts

From: Tino Schwarze <postgresql(at)tisc(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf is driving me nuts
Date: 2007-12-15 09:24:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Klay,

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 11:11:53AM +0200, Klay Martens wrote:

> I was not quite sure if this is the right forum for this question (if it
> aint.oh well).
>
> I have had a postgresql server up and running smoothly for 1.5 years now -
> no problems at all..but:
> I now need to be able to administer the server remotely, as well as allow
> remote logins from a WAN.
> Now, I have set up all the appropriate port forwarding, made sure that there
> are no problems with firewalls on the server.but the dratted thing will not
> allow any connections from a remote pgAdmin.
> I am fairly sure this is a result of a problem with pf_hba.conf.Can anyone
> advise how to configure pg_hba.conf to permit connections from any subnet
> and ip? I know this is not really a good idea, but if the connection works,
> at least then I know where the problem is! As it is, I cannot be sure
> exactly where the connection failure is. Very annoying!

What is the exact error message when you try to connect? As stated on
top of pg_hba.conf, you may permit whole subnets access like this:

host all all 192.168.xxx.0/24 trust

Note: This is dangerous, replace "trust" by a method of your choice! But
it's good for testing.

Bye,

Tino.

--
www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.lebensraum11.de

Tino Schwarze * Parkstraße 17h * 09120 Chemnitz