Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1)

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1)
Date: 2007-12-13 00:08:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 07:07:57PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> Enforcing uniqueness with a global index has a number of disadvantages.

This is why I was trying to talk about "constraints" rather than global
indexes. Just because we happen to implement them that way today does not
mean that such constraints need be implemented that way in every case.

I think especially for the sort of "detached rows" scenario I was dreaming
about, a global index is never going to be good.