Re: Dangerous hint in the PostgreSQL manual

From: Listaccount <lst_hoe01(at)kwsoft(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dangerous hint in the PostgreSQL manual
Date: 2007-12-11 14:08:36
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-docs

Zitat von Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 09:23:38AM +0100, Listaccount wrote:
>> I don't want to start the discussion what is the rigth thing todo,
>
> Then you shouldn't ask here. The manual was changed to say what it does
> after considerable community discussion. In my view, the Linux kernel's
> behaviour is completely unacceptable, and exactly the sort of amateur design
> foolishness that people are complaining about when they say Linux is a toy.

It was not a question but a hint how to improve the documentation. It
is nice you have a strong opinion on the technical details behind it
but one should not include advices without pointing out possible
downsides.
If this is not possible then the advice should be removed completely
because it has nothing to do with PostgreSQL but with shortcomings of
the Linux (or some other) Kernel.
I would have not been surprised if the OOM-Killer would go around in
case of short memory but i was surprised to see fork failed with a
system having 1GB Memory available.

That's all my own opinion and nothing need to be said anymore. If the
maintainer of the docu agree they could take it out or improve if not
i don't care because i have learned my lesson but others may suffer
from the same hidden problem.

Regards

Andreas