Re: [pgsql-www] Utah (or perhaps SLC) PUG

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Josh Tolley" <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Utah (or perhaps SLC) PUG
Date: 2007-12-11 14:58:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Hey, Josh,

> > I've been considering setting up a users group, and polling the locals
> > to gauge interest. Several have suggested the best way to start might
> > be to just set up a mailing list, publicize it a bit, and see who
> > joins up. If the powers that be are willing, I'd like to request such
> > a list.

Oddly, I somehow didn't get the original message for this, so I'm glad Selena
replied. I think you didn't get replies from anyone else for the same
reason.

Generally the way it goes is this:

1) You issue a call on -general and in PWN (and -advocacy, which you've
already done) asking people to contact you to verify that there are at least
a few other users in SLC.

2) You ask me/Marc for a setup and we assign you a mailing list and blog page
at pugs.postgresql.org. Just FYI, SFPUG has been using meetup.com as well.

3) You have a little dicussion on the mailing list and schedule a first
meeting for some time/place when at least 2 other people can come. Important
things to have for this meeting:
-- a speaker & topic
-- a projector & conference room
-- food

4) You commence regular monthly meetings. The important thing is to have them
regularly, no matter how few people show up, for at least 6 months. It takes
time to build up a regular membership ... we had some meetings in the first
year of SFPUG with 2 attendees, one of them the host. Now we average 16
people.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun