Re: whats the deal with -u ?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: whats the deal with -u ?
Date: 2007-12-10 14:49:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Peter Eisentraut (peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net) wrote:
> So as far as I can tell, the available options -U and -W serve all the
> existing use cases. I would have no issue with getting rid of the -W option
> if someone wants to take responsibility for ensuring that it will really
> never be necessary. I see no technical or usability merit in reviving the -u
> option. I hope the above explanations have shed some light on that.

I think getting rid of -W would cause a problem w/ PAM in some instances
since, iirc, PG will try PAM w/o a password first and only prompt if it
doesn't work. That's pretty ugly if you're using things like pam_tally
to limit the number of bad attempts allowed. (This is entirely
empirical, it's possible there's some other explanation for what's
happening, but I recall having to use -W to get PG to not cause PAM to
make noisies in my auth.log...).

Thanks,

Stephen