Re: Release Note Changes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Note Changes
Date: 2007-12-10 12:25:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> >> I assumed the white paper would have proper attribution.
> >
> > Right, but is the white paper going to be thorough to mention _all_
> > changes?
> >

> Hmmm good question which gets back to where we started :). My very first
> thought on all of this was that we would list all notable changes but
> that we wouldn't mention anyone's name.

Isn't that listing what is already in the release notes?

> Then, we would have a "Who contributed to this release" section that
> just listed names without attribution to the specific feature. IMO, that
> is the only "fair" way.
>
> I realize that notable is subjective.
>
> Here is the deal :). I think as long as a single person is making the
> decision as to what goes and stays, there will always be friction.
> Perhaps it is time for a "release team"? Odd numbers only, +1/-1 voting
> etc... I don't know maybe that is too much.

Not really. We can have anyone suggest changes to the release notes up
until release, and there already have been tons of user-suggested
changes. The issue is if I disagree with a suggested change, and no one
else backs up the suggested change, it gets rejected, just like the
community patch process works.