Re: whats the deal with -u ?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: whats the deal with -u ?
Date: 2007-12-09 19:00:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sunday 09 December 2007 13:33, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> > 1) I don't recall why -u was ever deprecated (and honestly postgresql is
> > the only program I know which uses -U rather than -u) but maybe we should
> > revert to -u and deprecate -U instread?
>
> You appear to think that -u and -U are supposed to be equivalent.
> You are incorrect. -u forces prompts for username and password.

Ah, you're right, I didn't realize that (probably because nothing in the
warnings seem to indicate that). However I think all of my questions still
remain valid, if not becoming even further re-encforced:

rob(at)ridley:~$ ~rob/devel/postgresql/83/bin/psql -h localhost -u -p 5483
psql: Warning: The -u option is deprecated. Use -U.

If I wanted to prompt for a username, why is it telling me to use -U? If
we've deemed that's not a valid behavior to want, see questions 1,2 & 3 from
upthread :-)

--
Robert Treat