Re: Release Note Changes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Note Changes
Date: 2007-12-08 17:29:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Guillaume Smet wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2007 3:37 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > If you want to collect all the optimizer items for 8.3 and put them in a
> > list we can link to them from the web site.
>
> Perhaps we can find a compromise by adding a global item on the
> optimizer enhancements with the names of people having worked on them.
> You could add a few examples in the detail of the item.
> While I understand both points of view, I must admit that it's quite
> weird to have all the ground work making this release far better not
> mentioned in the release notes.

In the past I added a generic optimizer release item, saying "Improved
optimizer handling of X, Y, Z" but Tom removed it because it was
"content-free", and he was right.

Again, what I would love to see is a detailed list of optimizer changes,
not only for 8.3 but for back branch major releases as well, that we
could link to from the release notes. I do think that information is
useful to some segment of our user base.

I just think putting optimizer items in the main release notes is going
to decrease the usability of the release notes for the majority of
users.