Re: Release Note Changes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Note Changes
Date: 2007-12-07 17:13:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 06:31 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
>
> > I also notice that two performance features have disappeared from the
> > release notes. (Presumably they have been removed from source). Both of
> > them have changes that can be seen by users, so can't see why we would
> > want them removed.
>
> Wow, just realised 3 of Heikki's performance patches aren't mentioned
> either:
>
> - CheckpointStartLock removal
>
> - I/O reduction during recovery
>
> - Tuning of Visibility code
>
> I'm not sure what the rationale is for not mentioning these things.
> They're at least as important, if not more so, than mentioning minor
> source code changes.

The source code changes are more _visible_, I think, meaning they often
require programmers to adjust their code.

> If people understand there aren't 13 performance improvements there are
> at *least* 19+ that is a positive message to help people decide to
> upgrade.

Frankly I think most people expact an X% improvement in every Postgres
release. I don't see how mentioning 19 vs. 13 items is going to change
the general understanding that you should upgrade to get better
performance.