Re: Enhancement request

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enhancement request
Date: 2007-12-05 16:38:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> I am curious however, as to what the future vision of autovacuum is.
> Will it be so efficient that it won't impact all but the busiest tables?

I think so; the guys with the dead space map ideas would know.

> Will it be able to figure out the best time to vacuum on its own?

No -- the admin will still need to configure it, of course.

> Will it stop itself mid-run if the need arises?

That's the idea if we get cancellable vacuum, yes.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
Thou shalt study thy libraries and strive not to reinvent them without