Re: Configuring a Large RAM PostgreSQL Server

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Alex Hochberger <alex(at)dsgi(dot)us>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuring a Large RAM PostgreSQL Server
Date: 2007-11-29 19:29:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

Alex Hochberger wrote:
> It's not on rebuilding the index, it's on CREATE INDEX.
>
> I attribute it to wrong setting, Ubuntu bizarre-ness, and general problems.

Please do not top-post. I reformatted your message for clarity.

Richard is still correct: it is not normal to get out-of-memory errors
during index building, regardless of age of servers and Linux distro.
Perhaps you just have a maintenance_work_mem setting that's too large
for your server.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"Uno puede defenderse de los ataques; contra los elogios se esta indefenso"