Re: Time to update list of contributors

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Time to update list of contributors
Date: 2007-11-29 16:53:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2007 16:09, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Magnus,

> > > Yeah. Too bad we don't have access to some kind of GIS database or
> > > something which we could use to generate a map. ;-)
> >
> > Well, we have a GIS database, but we don't have the mapping data :-P
>
> Well, it is easy to do it via google maps API. I did this once before on my
> old dev installed, which I'm pretty sure was trashed, but could be redone.
> You need to store everyones lat/lon, and then generate an xml file with the
> proper info, but it's not to tricky. Granted using a service based on
> PostGIS would be cooler, but I've not yet seen one as simple to use as
> google's stuff.

I have a map of my Postgres trips using Google:

http://momjian.us/main/trips.html

Robert is right you just have a javascript file with longitude/latutude
and city name. Here is the javascript I use:

http://momjian.us/main/js/google_map_api.js

I downloaded a location longitude/latutudes from:

http://www.maxmind.com/download/worldcities/