Re: String encoding during connection "handshake"

From: sulfinu(at)gmail(dot)com
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: String encoding during connection "handshake"
Date: 2007-11-27 15:55:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 27 November 2007, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> I was under the impression that the username/password, had no encoding,
> they are Just a Bunch of Bits, i.e. byte[].
I cannot agree to that, simply because Postgres supports (or at least claims
to) multi-byte characters. And user names, passwords and database names are
character strings.

> Looking at it another way, the encoding is part of the password. The
> correctly entered password in the wrong encoding is also wrong, because
> the matching is done at the byte level.
I'm afraid that is true to some extent, that's why I'm asking in the first
place. A user should be able to authenticate as long as he/she is able to
write the password, regardless of the OS's locale setting.

> This is all AIUI,
Thanks fot the input, I'm waiting for others, too. Or point me to the relevant
source files.