Re: Problems with PostGreSQL and Windows 2003

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: claudia(dot)amorim(at)pcinformatica(dot)com(dot)br
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with PostGreSQL and Windows 2003
Date: 2007-11-25 11:39:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 02:53:03AM -0200, claudia(dot)amorim(at)pcinformatica(dot)com(dot)br wrote:
> I'm having serious problems with PostGreSQL and Windows Server 2003
> Enterprise Edition. The PostgreSQL Server doesn't start if I set the shared
> buffers higher than 1GB. All my programs can use only 3 GB of RAM and I have 8GB
> of RAM.
> When I monitor the processes I can see that PostGreSQL allocs only 700 MB of
> memory, and
> my application 2GB. Total: 3GB.

You do realise that the "shared buffers" only controls the amount of
memory that is shared. Each backend however can access additional
memory seperately from all the other processes. So your calculation
should be 2GB + 700MB *per connection* which can be much higher.

> When I try to execute a query in a table about 4 milion registers, my
> application crashes with an error message "Out of memory" or
> "invalid sql statement". But the sql statement is ok - if I execute it
> in a table with less registers, it works and it is very simple.

My guess is you gave so much memory to shared buffers you did not leave
enough for normal work. Try reducing your shared buffers to something
more reasonable, like 256MB or 128MB.

Have a nice day,