Re: [pgsql-www] change to interfaces.html

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] change to interfaces.html
Date: 2007-11-17 03:07:56
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-www

[ Discussion moved to "interfaces" list.]

I think the unspoken complaint is why you would license an ODBC driver
as GPL rather than LGPL, especially if you are not trying to enforce a
burden on linked software. Frankly I thought the LGPL was the GPL
without the linking clause, so why use the GPL in that case?

Of course, you can license it however you want, but my bet is that is
the underlying complaint, and the fact that ODBCng is kind of a fork of
the psqlODBC driver that can't really be used because of the GPL, no
matter how much you say there is no link/source burden. It feels like a
GPL splinter project, kind of like taking the Postgres backend code and
trying to release a GPL version (which you also could do, but community
members aren't going to be thrilled about it).