Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Avoiding upgrade backlash

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Avoiding upgrade backlash
Date: 2007-11-17 05:07:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs

Bruce,

> CHAR and VARCHAR still cast to TEXT automatically. Concatenation (||)
> with non-TEXT types is still automatically cast, assuming one of the
> parameters is textual. While this change will require additional casts
> for some queries, it also eliminates some unusual behavior.
>
> Hope it isn't too detailed.

Hmmm. I don't feel like it contains a clear warning, though. We need a
statement like:

Some users may encounter issues upgrading due to the changes in handling
data type casts. If you suspect that your schema or application may not
be handling data type comparisons cleanly, you are strongly urged to test
for casting error messages before upgrading your production server.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun