Re: Spinlock backoff algorithm

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, Magne Mæhre <Magne(dot)Mahre(at)sun(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Spinlock backoff algorithm
Date: 2007-11-15 02:57:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> I've got one upstairs (HPPA), and I believe that it's actually a pretty
> common situation in scientifically-oriented workstations from a few
> years back.

Last I checked, scientific workstations aren't exactly a common platform for
PostgreSQL servers.

The question is, for our most common platforms (like AMD and Intel) is the FPU
notably slower/more contended than integer division? I'd the impression that
it was, but my knowledge of chip architectures is liable to be out of date.

Can we have a hardware geek speak up?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun