Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash

From: "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash
Date: 2007-11-14 11:28:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs

On Tuesday 13. November 2007, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
>> On Monday 12. November 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> >I'm thinking that we need to warn everyone about:
>> >1) They need to use 8.3's pg_dump, not the old version, to upgrade
>>
>> Isn't there a chicken-and-egg problem here? On my Gentoo system, I
>> have always been forced to uninstall the old version before
>> upgrading to a new version.
>
>That's a Gentoo shortcoming, nothing more.

I've started a thread about it in the Portage & Programming section of
forums.gentoo.org:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-615494.html

I hope that someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to
contribute in bringing this issue to the attention of the Gentoo
developers, and hopefully work out a solution. Sure, there are other
Gentoo users than me around here?
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE
My Jazz Jukebox: http://www.last.fm/user/leifbk/