Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash
Date: 2007-11-13 16:06:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs

Peter,

> What difference would pg_dump make?

For many user's databases ... many more than any previous version after
7.3 ... using the old version's pg_dump *will not load* into 8.3. Unless you
restore the casts.

> Well, if you want to undo the changes, you don't need a backport package;
> you can just change the cast's definition.

Right. We've talked (on IRC) about putting together a package which restores
the removed casts.

Given that Gentoo, Red Hat and SuSE don't support having multiple PostgreSQL
versions on the system in their packaging, I'm thinking the "restore casts"
package is essential rather than being a nice idea.

Should I be discussing this on a different list?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun