BUG #3725: plsql does not report unknown functions at compile time

From: "Roger" <ramoloney(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #3725: plsql does not report unknown functions at compile time
Date: 2007-11-06 16:50:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 3725
Logged by: Roger
Email address: ramoloney(at)hotmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3 beta 2
Operating system: Windows/Linux
Details:

Hi,

At compile time, plpgsql does not report unknown functions. For example, if
I have a function.
p_Func(a,b,c)
and I have calls to it such as:
p_Func(a)
p_Func(a,b)
these are not reported at compile time. They are only found at run time.

I cannot stress (I've reported this now 3 times and got no reply) the
importance of this. Surely, you must realize that it is not feasible to test
all execution paths for a large plsql project.

thanks,
Roger

[
PS: I would also love to see functions allowing DEFAULT parameters as
exists in many other database systems. I know we have polymorphic functions
but this to my mind is not as useful. Take the example where a function has
16 parameters. The polymorphic alternative is to define 16 functions. That
is nasty.
]