Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?

From: Ron Peterson <ron(dot)peterson(at)yellowbank(dot)com>
To: Kevin Hunter <hunteke(at)earlham(dot)edu>
Cc: ioguix <ioguix(at)free(dot)fr>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Postgres Advocacy List <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?
Date: 2007-11-06 12:36:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

2007-11-06_03:28:24-0500 Kevin Hunter <hunteke(at)earlham(dot)edu>:

> Along these lines, here are a couple not-so-killer apps, but apps and
> areas that are important nonetheless and that I'm fairly certain would
> benefit from Postgres and OpenSource TLC:

Another good idea, I think, is a SQL backed mail store. DBMail provides
just that:

http://www.dbmail.org/

I believe (I might be wrong) they originally started as a PostgreSQL
project. They have since inserted an abstraction layer to allow them
use MySQL etc also. I'm not a big fan of that notion in general, but
definitely not w/ respect to a mail store, where efficiency and speed
are paramount. DBMail also provides POP and IMAP clients, but last I
checked, secure connections required stunnel, which adds another layer
of inefficiency.

Great idea, but could be improved upon.

I'd put university ERP apps in the 'killer' category myself. I know
folks pour gobsmacks into the so-called 'enterprise' solutions currently
on the market. I don't think I'm alone in saying that it would be GREAT
to be able to move toward a commodity solution. This is one area where
the 'service' facet of F/OSS development would certainly play out,
because institutions all want to preserve certain processes unique to
themselves, and need help making that happen. I think an app that could
displace Banner, Datatel, etc would certainly be 'killer' for me at
least.

--
Ron Peterson
https://www.yellowbank.com/