Re: COPY ... FROM and index usage

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Reg Me Please <regmeplease(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: COPY ... FROM and index usage
Date: 2007-11-04 18:01:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Le Sunday 04 November 2007 11:22:19 Reg Me Please, vous avez écrit :
> That is, should I drop all indexes during a "COPY ... FROM" in order to
> gain the maximum speed to load data?

When looking for a way to speed up data loading, you may want to consider
pgbulkload, a project which optimizes index creation while loading data, and
bypass constraints: it's useful when you know you trust input.
As I've never used it myself, I can only provides following links:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgbulkload
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000261/456/20060709_pg_bulkload.pdf

Regards,
--