Re: pg 8.3beta 2 restore db with autovacuum report

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: andy <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg 8.3beta 2 restore db with autovacuum report
Date: 2007-11-02 20:55:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

andy wrote:

> with autovacuum enabled with default settings, cramd.sql is 154M:
>
> andy(at)slacker:/pub/back$ time pg_restore -Fc -C -d postgres cramd.sql
>
> real 3m43.687s

[...]

> Now I dropdb and disable autovacuum, restart pg:
>
> andy(at)slacker:/pub/back$ time ( pg_restore -Fc -C -d postgres cramd.sql;
> vacuumdb -z cramd )
>
> real 3m47.229s
> user 0m9.933s
> sys 0m0.744s
>
> Sweet, about the same amount of time.

Thanks. I find it strange that it takes 3 minutes to restore a 150 MB
database ... do you have many indexes?

Even though the restore times are very similar, I find it a bit
disturbing that the "CREATE INDEX" is shown to be waiting. Was it just
bad luck that the ps output shows it that way, or does it really wait
for long?