Re: [DOCS] Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres"

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres"
Date: 2007-10-26 18:35:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 04:10:31PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Let's not get sidetracked here. There was already agreement in advocacy
> > to promote the use of the alias, and this thread is to discuss that, not
>
> I object to this declaration of consensus. I think there was an
> agreement that the FAQ entry we had, or perhaps something slightly
> stronger, was ok. "Promotion" is quite another matter, and I don't
> believe there was any such agreement. I recall arguing rather
> strongly that such an undertaking needs a _clear plan_ and that it
> should not be in any case undertaken for 8.3, because the suggestion
> came too late in the release cycle to put the necessary planning into
> the matter.
>
> What is the giant panic on this matter, anyway?

There is no panic. In fact whatever change to documentation we do will
not be seen until 8.3 final.

In 1-2 days there will be a request on advocacy for promotion in both
the FAQ and documentation and we can see if we can get consensus then.

Frankly, what I am seeing is that the minority who don't like the alias
are "trolling" or making procedural objections in an attempt to prevent
alias adoption. Or perhaps my perception is incorrect.

I am also seeing that few like my idea of doing the
second-mention-in-a-paragraph so that is going to be removed once we
have that discussion.