Re: Example non-Latin words for text search parser docs?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Example non-Latin words for text search parser docs?
Date: 2007-10-25 13:12:24
Lists: pgsql-docs

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Actually I was wondering if we should use actual words. So instead of
> > "foo" we could use "elephant" for asciiword and "Éléphant" (french) for
> > word. And for the hword, "sous-espèces" (which appears on the French
> > Wikipedia) would do.
>
> Hmm ... I see a potential problem with that, which is that if someone
> happened to be viewing the page on something that dropped the accents,
> or even just made them too small to be easily readable, the examples
> wouldn't make any sense at all.
>
> I have no problem with "elephant" as a sample asciiword, but for the
> sample non-ascii word I'd suggest something that (a) is clearly not
> English and (b) as much as possible, everybody knows has an accent.
> At least in large parts of the US, something like "mañana" would
> work nicely.

OK I went with that. I also used real spanish hyphenated words in the
hword examples. I also changed the domains foo.com to example.com, just
because I'm anal enough to do it.

The hword_asciipart I'm not 100% sure about. I used this:

militar in the context político-militar, or postgresql in the
context postgresql-beta1

What I wanted to emphasize here is that it's the "ascii-ness" of the
part that matters, not that of the complete token. The reason I'm not
sure about it is that it makes the table wider.