Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Date: 2007-10-22 19:37:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon,

> We can issue a provisional date. We could also say "at least 6 months
> after release date of 8.3". I'm sure there's other options too.

I'm going to suggest 4 months after 8.3. 8.3 was supposed to be a *short*
release so that we could move our calendar around. HOT and some of the
other unexpected massive patches prevented that. Again, we have enough in
the "deferred for 8.4" queue that if we finished up only that it would
qualify as a release.

So my thought is, shoot for a short release so that we can get away from
summer consolidations and December releases, and extend the cycle if
someone dumps another 50,000 lines of attractive patches on us.

In fact, I could see doing a "no-catalog-changes, no major patches we don't
already know about, 6-month release". It would reset our cycle and get
PL/proxy, DSM, clustered indexes, etc. out the door. It could mean
turning away patches which look attractive, though, so the whole community
has to be into this.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus