max_prepared_transactions default ... why 5?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: max_prepared_transactions default ... why 5?
Date: 2007-10-18 04:24:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Folks,

I'm writing up the new GUCs, and noticed that max_prepared_transactions
defaults to 5. This is too many for most applications (which don't use them
at all) and far too few for applications which use them regularly.

It seems like we should either set the value to 0, or to something higher,
like 50.

It would also be nice to be able to just set the value to be equal to
max_connections automatically, but I'm sure I brought that point up too late.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun