Re: rolcanlogin vs. the flat password file

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: rolcanlogin vs. the flat password file
Date: 2007-10-17 15:35:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> > There's legitimate use for creating a role with NOLOGIN and a password.
>
> If we think that, then we shouldn't have a message at all.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't agree that there's really a
legitimate use for creating a role w/ NOLOGIN and a password either, for
that matter. A 'NOTICE' level message would be fine with me. We have
NOTICE messages for when we create an index for a PK. I find a message
about an entirely unexpected and unworkable configuration alot more
useful than those.

Thanks,

Stephen