Re: Approval process for news/events/training is broken

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Approval process for news/events/training is broken
Date: 2007-10-15 22:29:10
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:20:36 -0400 (EDT)
Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> > > The real question is, "is it proprietary". If it is even partially
> > > closed source then it really doesn't belong in the "postgresql
> > > family product" unless we also include MPP and Replicator.
> >
> > You know what I mean :-). And all of EDB-Postgres is open source,
> > including the funky little MySQL migrator tool in the latest builds.
>
> Uh, doesn't the installer use a commercial product that isn't open
> source? Does requiring non-open source tools to build something make
> it non-open source? Postgres requires a C compiler that can be open
> or closed source so I don't know if that helps clarify things.

Well I think I C compiler is a little different.

If the Installer is closed source, that is part of the package and I
would consider that a show stopper, because I need a closed source
package to install the software...

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL