Re: Euro PG conference?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(at)dalibo(dot)com>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jean-Christophe Arnu <jcarnu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)pjmodos(dot)net>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <andreas(at)scherbaum(dot)la>
Subject: Re: Euro PG conference?
Date: 2007-10-10 13:41:16
Lists: pgeu-general

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 11:20:27AM +0200, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I don't want to seem too harsh, but I believe that this whole topic must
> be faced more realistically and rationally.
>
> We can discuss about possible venues of PGDay for years. We are talking
> about PGDay and ignoring the European Group issues (I posted an important
> message yesterday, but nobody - as of now - has replied).

Yeah, that one is on my TODO :-)

> Also, it is not very mature (pardon the term) to propose cities without
> tangible and realistic measures of the scope of the whole organisational
> thing. Believe me, organising a PGDay such as the one in Italy that we did
> last year, is very time consuming and requires lots of work. Thousands of
> man hours and several months of planning. Of course, only if that's the
> goal.

Very true. We must not underestimate that at all - we have to live up to
the high standard that you set for us!

> A city, without a working group and a real project, must not even be
> mentioned. I believe that candidate cities come up with a proposal and then
> we work it out. Proposing cities as we are doing now will take us nowhere.

Yeah, let's not vote on where we want to do it before we have a local
representation actually saying they're capable of dealing with it. So far,
what do we have with that - Prato and Paris?

> We need facts, we need responsabilities, we need people and names that
> are willing to carry them on.
>
> I am a bit concerned about the superficiality that we have all proved so
> far as a group. That's all.

Agreed.

//Magnus