Re: ecpg thread-safe descriptor

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ecpg thread-safe descriptor
Date: 2007-10-02 10:23:10
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 06:45:12PM +0900, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> Almost portability issues come from Windows, but ecpg in 8.2 only support
> thread-safety on pthread, not on Win32. So backporting is easier than
> expected because we can neglect Windows.

True, but it's still a pretty huge change. I'd prefer to only backport
small fixes not serious rewrites.

> I want thread-safe ecpg *NOW* and cannot wait for 8.3 release...

Which is a valid point for backporting your changes but NOT for
including them into CVS.

> BTW, do we need to distribute ecpg with server (or client library) ?
> If it was a separate product, I think we will be able to maintain them
> more flexiblly, just like libpqxx or JDBC.

I do not agree at all with this statement. IMO it's absolutely necessary
that ecpg's parser is in sync with the backend's parser. So essentially
we would not gain any flexibility as we'd have to release at the same
time anyway.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
ICQ: 179140304, AIM/Yahoo: michaelmeskes, Jabber: meskes(at)jabber(dot)org