how to edit entries in vendor supplied database?

From: "sandy_mcd(at)juno(dot)com" <sandy_mcd(at)juno(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how to edit entries in vendor supplied database?
Date: 2007-10-02 03:31:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

We got a new instrument which stores our sample info in a database (vendor is useless, PostgreSQL 8.0, pgAdmin III 1.2.2, Win XP, only exe's in folder pg_dump and pg_restore). I would like to modeify a few items (e.g., correct typos, change file locations). The database has 56 tables; one is 'samples'. I used pg_dump to make a text file of entries. Can I just use this to modify a few entries and pg_restore without consistency errors? The table 'samples' lists 31 sample (~2 months). How can I list all the items associated with each sample number (preferably by sample name) since all the data is sorted by type first?
thanks much
Sandy

(files available)

pgsql-novice No question is too simple for this list.
Earn ATM Machine Profits While You Sleep. Simple and Easy. Click Now.
http://3rdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iig7VYFMxDXWhxLWP9lC6C4uCeMxiZCjjKiMlcq2o3FB53YDB/