Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1
Date: 2007-09-28 03:04:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We're so close I can almost taste it ... Here are the open tasks
> I can see, does anyone have others?
>
> * Review the one remaining patch from Simon that's on Bruce's patch
> queue page
> http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches
> (Everything else on that page is either dealt with, mentioned explicitly
> below, or simply a documentation improvement issue, which need not
> hold up beta1.)
>
> * Deal with the "#define FRONTEND" issue that Hiroshi Saito is working
> on (see "Warning is adjusted of pgbench" thread).
>
> * Decide whether we need to change CSVLOG output to emit virtual XIDs
> instead of, or perhaps in addition to, regular XIDs. I'm of the opinion
> that this has to happen, but there didn't seem much enthusiasm for it
> elsewhere.
>
> * Pending patches for pre-existing bugs in contrib/pgcrypto --- this
> doesn't seem like a beta-stopper anyway.
>
> * What are we going to do with contrib/tsearch2? Probably not a beta
> stopper either, but it needs to be decided.
>
> * Do we bump the .so major version number for libpq? I think we should
> because there are two new exported functions since 8.2, and on at least
> some platforms there's nothing else than major number to disambiguate
> whether a client needs these or not. Comments?
>
> * Draft release notes --- can't really ship a beta without these,
> else beta testers won't know what to test. Traditionally this has
> taken a fair amount of time, but I wonder whether we couldn't use
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83
> for at least the first cut.

I see no problem here. However the list looks to miss some 8.3
features (for example JIS2004 support). Also it lacks mentioning the
imcompatibilty with earilier version or removed features.

Since I have to prepare Japanese materials for 8.3 to promote it
anyway, it's ok for me. I have already made presentations about 8.3
last month and this month, and am going to write one or two articles
for some publishers in Japan. I believe 8.3 is one of the greatest
versions since PostgreSQL was born. I would like to promote 8.3's
superiorly as much as possible.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who have been working hard
for 8.3!
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan