Tuning for warm standby

From: Kevin Kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
To: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Tuning for warm standby
Date: 2007-09-27 17:42:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi All;

I'm preparing to fire up WAL archiving on 8 production servers We will follow
up with implementing a warm standby scenariio.

Does anyone have any thoughts per how to maximize performance, yet minimize
the potential for data loss assuming we were not able to retrieve the final
un-archived WAL segment from the original pg_xlog dir in the case of a crash?

Specifically, I wonder if there are some general rules of thought per tuning
wal_buffers, checkpoint_segments and friends...

Currently all servers have the following settings:
wal_buffers = 24
checkpoint_segments = 32

Thanks in advance

/Kevin