Re: Using Postgres as an alias

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date: 2007-09-27 02:34:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 11:35 am, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Derek Rodner wrote:
> > In presentations, articles, blogs, etc. Any publicly visible spot.
>
> This is assuming the name of the project has changed. It hasn't. The
> name of this project is PostgreSQL.
>
> This whole thread stinks of... I couldn't get my way and change the name
> outright so instead I will subvert my will through alternative means...
>
> Bruce, with respect. Let's start with one thing at a time. We have
> changed the FAQ.
>
> The community "just" accepted the FAQ change, and now you want to start
> this?
>
> Let it lay.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

My take on this is that the length of this thread indicates that the change
has already happened. I have seen this topic raised before and die after a
relatively short time (in relation to this go around ) . The fact that it
refuses to die this time is all the proof I need that Postgres is the new
name for the project. The official name may very well remain PostgreSQL, but
the user base will march on using Postgres. If you want a case study for
this, just look at the on going sagas that are the conversion to metric units
in the USA and UK (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6988521.stm). Officially
imperial units are the standard in both countries with metric units existing
in parallel. The failure to make the switch is chalked up to the difficulties
it would impose (sound familiar). The reality is that as an end user I have
to use and am familiar with metric system. I understand the difficulties
inherent in change of any sort, but change happens and it is time to get out
in front of this one.
--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net