copy commands and linefeeds

From: Mija Lee <mija(at)scharp(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: copy commands and linefeeds
Date: 2007-09-18 23:49:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi -

I have two questions that have arisen as a result of using the copy command to
create csv files.

1. Apparently, the table from which I am trying to create the csv file has
linefeeds/carriage returns in it that don't belong there. UGH! Is there a way to
restrict the users from inserting linefeeds into the field? They are connecting
via odbc from some windows app (probably access) so I assume it's a windows
linefeed, and although I can't see them, I know they are there because the
output has them, and I get the following warning:

WARNING: CSV fields with embedded linefeed or carriage return characters might
not be able to be reimported

2. I'm not sure I understand the copy sytax. If I want text to be in single
quotes instead of double quotes, the way I read the doc, the following should
work:

copy table1 to 'output.txt' with csv quote as ''';

which doesn't seem to work. Am I misreading the doc?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mija