Re: Terms and Definitions for Database Replication

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Terms and Definitions for Database Replication
Date: 2007-09-06 14:29:19
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thursday 06 September 2007 09:54, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> > Single Master vs. MM -> I think you should mention that single master is
> > commonly reffered to as "master-slave".
>
> Good tip, thanks.
>
> > Also you should add an explicit
> > example of what MM is.
>
> Hm.. not sure, my primary goal is giving good definitions. Examples are
> good for understanding, but normally aren't general enough. I'll give it
> a try.

Example may have been the wrong word. That paragraph explains what single
master is explicitly, but never explains what multiple master is explicitly
(ie. more than one node accepting writes, and then using 2PC or conflict
resultion to push changes around). So maybe just provide a more explicit
definition of MM.

--
Robert Treat