BUG #3593: Postgres Installer does not work

From: "Omkar Patkar" <patkaromkar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #3593: Postgres Installer does not work
Date: 2007-09-02 11:38:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 3593
Logged by: Omkar Patkar
Email address: patkaromkar(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.2.4.1
Operating system: Windows Vista Home Basic Edition
Details:

I tried to install postgres on Windows Vista Home Basic. It gave me two
problems :-

1) The UAC (User Access Control) of Windows Vista was blocking the installer
from creating a user account by the name "postgres"

2) I some how managed to disable the UAC, and was the installer was able to
create the user account for postgres. But the installer halted at one point
and the installation could not be proceeded.

The logs mentioned following :-

The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found in the
same directory as "C:/Development/Data/Database/PostgreSQL/8.2/bin/initdb".
Check your installation.

Can someone please suggest me any workaround for this ?

Million thanks in advance.

Omkar Patkar.