Re: enum types and binary queries

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: enum types and binary queries
Date: 2007-08-31 14:37:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Gregory Stark escribió:

> I think it would be ok only if a pg_dump/pg_restore reliably restored the same
> oid->enum value mapping. Otherwise a binary dump is useless. But as I
> understand it that's the case currently, is it?

That doesn't work if the dump is restored on a database that already has
those OIDs used for another enum. The easy workaround would be to
"rewrite" the data to use the new OID, but believe me, you don't want to
go down that route, lest madness await you at the end.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"Uno puede defenderse de los ataques; contra los elogios se esta indefenso"