Re: Reliable and fast money transaction design

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reliable and fast money transaction design
Date: 2007-08-30 17:54:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:22:32PM +0100, Gregory Stark wrote:
> mode. In fact I believe SERIALIZABLE mode is actually measurably faster in
> benchmarks but haven't run one in READ COMMITTED mode recently (for that
> reason).

I think there's a reason why SERIALIZABLE could be slower, and that
is that it's waiting on possibly-conflicting (but not actually
conflicting) commits to happen in READ COMMITTED mode. No? Won't it
have to check those things when it COMMITs?

The whole tendency of modern prose is away from concreteness.
--George Orwell